Traveling can be one of the best experiences you have. Picking the destination, planning the trip, and even packing can be part of the fun experience. But nothing about the trip will be fun if you are not properly prepared. When you traveling with someone with health issues being prepared is key to not only a safe trip but to a fun trip. Here are a few medical preparations that should be made before you leave on your travels.
- Medical clearance from your provider. This has to be the most important preparation you can make. Even when we feel our best there could be something, medically, that could make the trip dangerous if not deadly for you.
- Pre-travel procedures, vaccinations, medications, and equipment. Ensuring that you get everything done that your medical provider has said to do is important. Getting pre-travel medications and vaccinations is essential for traveling outside of your country. Having all of your vaccinations is of the utmost importance when you travel outside of your country as most countries will not allow you entry without proof of having your vaccinations. If you are in need of any type of medical equipment, it is a must to have it beforehand. The chance of getting what you need on your travels is a risk you might not want to take.
- List of medical information. It is a great idea to have a list of your medications, allergies, and medical conditions with you. If you are in the need of medical services having a list of all of your essential medical information available can save you time and maybe your life.
- Medication, letter from your doctor for medications. Before you leave, it is critical to ensure you have every medication you could need with you. During your travels, it could be impossible to replace a forgotten medication. Nothing is worse than getting a migraine and not having your medication. Having a letter from your doctor verifying your on these medications and your need for them is a good backup in case your destination requires it.
- First aid supplies. You never know when something is going to happen. Being prepared is always better than trying to react in the moment. Having the essentials is especially needed when traveling long distances or out of the country. You never know if you will be able to find what you need or if you will be able to get to first aid supplies when you need them.
There are many procedures you can do before your travels to help prevent some of these issues that could come up. When suffering from motion sickness you can get medication to take ahead of time. If you have chronic migraines, you can get botox treatments. If you have allergies, it is good to make sure you are on a medication ahead of time. Many of these such procedures can be done by your medical provider. Other medication you can get from local providers. These providers can be found with a quick internet search. For example, you can go online to find a location to get a botox procedure done and be able to compare prices and find discounts. Wherever you travel to be prepared and enjoy every moment.