Whether you’re heading to mainland Greece or one of the many Greek islands, you’ll certainly be spoilt for choice when it comes to finding somewhere to sit on the sand. Every coast is lined with stunning beaches, for the most part unspoiled despite the immense numbers of tourists who flock there.
With around 9,000 miles of coastline in the country, you’ll be able to find yourself the beach of your dreams, no matter what your taste. From the long, white sandy stretches to tiny private coves, some of the best beaches in the world are to be found in Greece for the traveller willing to explore. Here are just a few of the best beaches in Greece to tempt you on your next holiday.
· Best for families: Naxos is a great island for kids, and the Agios Gordios beach is perfect for small explorers. Just a short walk from the main town on the island, the beach offers a shallow shelf that extends far out into the sea, and the waters here are calm and safe.
· Best for party animals: Mykonos is one of the serious party havens of the Greek Islands, and Paradise beach is the number one destination for fun in the sun. From daredevil water sports to ridiculous drinking games and banging music, for a party crowd, this vision of paradise has it all.
· Best for peace: There are hundreds of uninhabited islands where you can find your own private beach for the day, although you might need a boat, but if you prefer somewhere still within reach of good facilities, Abelas Beach on Paros is perfect. Peace and tranquillity reign on this beach, yet there are still good restaurants and hotels just a short walk away.
· Best for uniqueness: If you’re lucky enough to pay a visit to the idyllic island of Santorini, the Red Beach there is a sight to behold. Covered with red and black sand from the volcanic rock that lines the beach, this is a great one-of-a-kind experience for any visitor.
· Best for variety: The beach at Kavos is around 30 miles away from the bustling town of Corfu, and stretches for over a mile along the coast of the island. The sheer size of the beach means you can always find a quiet spot if you so desire, but as many people booking Kavos holidays are looking for a party atmosphere, you can expect everything from bungee jumping to banana rides at the more crowded end of the beach.
· Best island for beaches: If you want to hit a destination and be spoiled for choice when it comes to beaches, head over to Sikathos. The island boasts over 60 beaches, from picture-postcard tiny coves at Agistros and Mikros Aselinos to sweeping expanses of sand at Magali Ammos. The best known beach on the island is Koukounaries, which, although busy, is worth a visit just to see the lush green trees with a backdrop of deep turquoise waters.
If you are looking for a unique and incredible beach on any of the Greek islands or mainland, the trick is to go off the beaten path. Rent a boat, or take a swim around the headland and see if you can discover a hidden gem all of your own.
This post was written by Jeremy Koops